Who doesn’t like a delicious baked potato?
I love them. They are SO good. I haven’t loved the way they taste at home. At a restaurant they have this crispy skin, salt and all of the goodness. I don’t even remember where I read about making a crispy skinned baked potato, but I knew I had to try it. And it wasn’t that hard to do. I committed what I was reading to memory. Then I planned my baked potato dinner for the next night.
Believe me. It is easy.
- Bacon. This is the secret right here. I bake my bacon in the oven to get it perfectly crispy. It also allow you to collect a lot of the grease. Bacon grease is the key. I think I remember reading you can use olive oil instead. But really, baked potatoes need bacon on top. So bake the bacon.
- Wash your potatoes and dry them off. Drying them off is super important.
- Rub. You are going to rub the bacon grease all over the potato. I use a paper towel to do this. Once the baked potato is covered nicely, put it on the baking sheet.
- Salt. After you have all of your potatoes covered in grease you will use Kosher Salt all over them.
- Poke. You can poke holes in the potato, but I have never had one explode on me. I have found that they cook faster this way. I end up poking holes to check done-ness.
- Bake. I cook my potatoes at 425 for about 45 minutes and then check for doneness, and add more time as needed.
What toppings do you put on your potatoes?