If you didn’t know, 4th of July is my most FAVORITE holiday. It is the food, the heat, the family, the outside. The Fireworks. And most of all. What this holiday represents.
I was an Army Wife for 10 years. I have seen the sacrifice many make to keep our freedoms. As an Army Wife I have held the hand of a woman I don’t know giving birth for the first time because her husband was deployed to a far away place. I have sat on a front porch with my neighbor when the black car pulled up and two men climbed out in their finest uniforms to tell her that her husband won’t be coming home to her. I have held women sobbing in my arms while their soldier walks away in formation toward an unknown destination.
I love the 4th of July because we have the freedoms that are so important that men lay down their lives for it.
And while that is heavy, and really hard, let’s get to some fun stuff!
- Americans will enjoy 150 Million hot dogs during the 4th.
- The only two signers of the Declaration of Independence who later served as President of the United States were John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.
- Three presidents have died, and one was born, on the 4th of July.
- Wearing Old Glory violates the U.S. Flag Code.
- Family Breakfast: We get together in the morning with my in-laws for a big breakfast including biscuits and gravy, cinnamon rolls, mountain man breakfast, fruit, juice, milk… The list could go on.
- BBQ: We like to food at our house. We love good food. BBQs are such a good way to get everyone together and have a party.
- Fireworks: We watch the fireworks from home. We still have little kids that go to bed and can’t hang late. But we have loved staying up late and going to watch them in the past. I can’t wait for the littles to be a little older and able to stay up late to watch them!
- Fruit Pizza: I wish I had photos of this from years past, but I don’t. It gets eaten fast. I make a fruit pizza with sugar cookie dough, cream cheese frosting and then I use blueberries, strawberries and raspberries to make a flag on the cookie!